Thursday, March 19, 2009

Angkor Wat--Temples of the Khmer Kingdom


Driving through Angkor on the back of the motorbike, I imagined monks, leaders and villagers living among the majestic temples in the seat of the Khmer empire. Centuries old ruins span an area of over 400 square kilometers outside the city of Siem Reap. One hundred temples in all represent where the Khmer leaders ruled from the 9th to the 15th centuries.

Angkor Wat is the largest temple surrounded by a large moat. It was originally built to honor the Hindu god, Vishnu. As I walked up the long bridge over the moat I noticed a couple taking wedding photos outside. The wedding party waited along the moat's edge in the shade as the photographer positioned the couple perfectly for each shot.
Inside the temples, inscriptions from the 12th century record important events in the kingdom.



The stone faces of the Bayon Temple look down at you from the temple's third level. This was built for a Buddhist King and stands at what was the center of his capital.








By far my favorite temple was Ta Prohm. This temple was long left in nature's hands allowing the roots of neighboring trees to embrace the crumbling walls. Measures have been taken to prevent further deterioration.




My moto driver and I sped along the narrow road that loops through the area. I spent the full day climbing the ruins as I baked in the sun. As we left the area we drove through areas inhabited by Cambodians. There are small villages where people still live farming the land and selling goods to tourists. Children peddling small handicrafts, fruit and water are plenty. At each temple I'd have little kids running after me shouting, "Lady, you buy, you buy!" One group of kids asked me to play tic-tac-toe. The little boy then started chanting "You lose, you buy!" This little boy showed me a lizard he caught and helped me to find the small stand where I was supposed to meet my driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment