Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Zai Jian Shanghai

I've officially vacated my year-long residence on Beijing Xi Lu in Shanghai. It was a bitter sweet departure. I've met some amazing people in Shanghai and made friends that, while I know I'll see again, were hard to leave. I said farewell to people with dinners and outings throughout the week. Our final night out was Sunday starting at one of our favorite bars, Manifesto. If you're in Shanghai check this place out, (located on Julu Lu near Fumin Lu) especially on Sundays for half price cocktails. I especially recommend the Chinese's--a delicious blend of lychee and lemongrass.

As a result of a near chronic state of procrastination, my final day was a little hectic. At fifteen minutes before I was to turn in my keys to my landlord, my friend Claire and I were frantically running around my apartment with last minute packing and cleaning. This was happening as my landlord waited outside chatting with my adorable neighbor. I addressed my neighbor as A-yi, a respectful term used for elder females that translates to "Auntie". She's in her mid-70s and about 4'5''. As I learned more Mandarin our relationship strengthened. She would also study some English on her own and practice her sentences on me. One day she told me that she is Christian. So, on my last day she came to me and, in English, slowly and with determination said "God-bless-you". In the cold Shanghai winter, A-yi would always be dressed in her quilted suits making her look a little like the Pillsbury dough boy. She wore small round glasses with a crack on the left lens that she would peer up at me with during our conversations in the hallway. On my final day, she stood at the elevator and waved good-bye to me as I made my final descent from the building.

Outside I was greeted by another one of my building friends, a security guard. Our friendship started when he witnessed a small bicycle spill a friend and I took late one night in front of his guard stand. Since that day, he'd be waiting to greet me with a smile, wave and "hello". He was by far the friendliest of our security guards. On the night he'd be working he'd come out of the guard house and ask me, "Chi le ma?" Have you eaten? This is a common way of greeting friends and neighbors. I'd explain, with my broken Mandarin, how I was on my way to meet friends, go to the gym, or on my way to work. We took this picture together the day before I left and left me with his address in Chinese to post him a copy.


I watched Shanghai grow smaller and smaller from the back of the taxi window as I made my way to the airport. I thought back to the first night I arrived in the strange and daunting city. The year was filled with challenging and wonderful experiences and I leave Shanghai with a stronger character and a new perspective on our world. My time in Shanghai will influence the way I approach each new place I encounter on my next four months of travels throughout Asia. Zai jian Shanghai! Until we meet again.

1 comment:

  1. so sorry i missed you k berg...make sure you say hello from time to time...i hear you have a little friend on your travels onwards though???!?! xxx mwah sean

    ReplyDelete